Thursday, March 29, 2007

First class

No. I didn't fly anywhere. And even if I did, it'll be years before I can afford First Class seats... sigh... being a musician just doesn't pay enough.

No. It's not about having my first class as a teacher either. After eight months of trying to and failing, I finally had my first class as a student, with this amazing drummer - Jeoraj George, who lives further down south in Chennai... hence the lapse in time. And what a class it was too! I'm totally inspired. I actually practiced instead of plonking down infront of the telly... and there was no internal struggle either!

Now THAT is a good teacher. Not only can he play, he can teach. He must be an exception to the "those who can't, teach" rule. He has quite an impressive biography too... been playing for just five years (JESUS, WHY!?), topped his class at Drumtech, London, specializes in Latin grooves and just about anything that makes a normal mind go "What what what what!?!?!?!?!?"

In short, he is insanely brilliant on the drums, and a very good teacher. What more can one want in life I wonder... Did I hear a Porsche 911? Nah! I'm not materialistic. I'll settle for a penthouse with an open air, heated swimming pool (don't wanna freeze them toesies on a cold winter night, now do we?), a large well-equipped studio and a Dodge Viper. Oh! And Carter Beauford's groove, and Mike Mangini's hands, and Thomas Haake's co-ordination and legs... That's all I ask for. The simple things in life... the bare necessities...

2 comments: